The Center for North American Herpetology
18 November 2008
TURTLE TRACK TASK
Title: Interpretive Naturalist (Full-time/Temporary): 15 March to 15 June 2009
Agency: Desert Tortoise Preserve Committee, Inc.
Location: Desert Tortoise Natural Research Area (DTNA), Kern County, California
Application Deadline: 31 December 2008
(A) Interpretive Services. Provide information to the public while welcoming
visitors, conducting nature walks, presentations, and other educational activities.
(B) Data Collection, Entry, and Reporting. Record visitor information,
patterns of visitation, maintain daily logs, record wildlife sightings, and any unusual activities.
Enter data into Excel files and prepare weekly summaries for the Preserve Manager.
(C) Assist with Other DTPC Activities and Programs. Assist other DTPC
personnel and volunteers as necessary to conduct activities at the DTNA or vicinity.
(D) Site Maintenance. The Naturalist shall keep the parking lot and vicinity
clean and check the area for rattlesnakes and venomous spiders regularly. The Naturalist
will inspect the exhibits along the trails each morning and maintain them as
1. Familiarity with the plants and animal communities of the Mojave desert
2. Demonstrated professional/educational commitment to environmental
conservation, public outreach, and/or scientific research
3. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a diversity of
4. Basic understanding and ability to administer first-aid
5. Self-motivated and able to work independently
6. Ability to collect data with a strong attention to detail
7. Ability to enter data into Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets
8. Ability to live on-site in the DTPC's motor home at the DTNA, Kern County,
California during the term of the position
9. Having and maintaining eligibility to work in the United States pursuant to
federal law; along with submission of employment eligibility documentation.
To apply: Please submit a resume, a cover letter, and a list of 3 references.
Salary: $2,900 per month/housing is provided
Contact: Melissa Nicholson